17 June 2010

some confusing words

Question:

I don't know how different the words 'Say' , 'Speak' , 'Talk' and 'Tell' are .
Please explain me . Thank you very much.



Answer:

These can be confusing. They mean almost the same thing. The difference is about what is being said and to whom.

Speak - is often used for 'one-way' communication. There is no conversation.

I speak to a group of people.


Tell - is often about giving orders or teaching.

My mother tells me never to cross the street by myself.


Say - is about talking.

I will say "good morning" to you.


Talk - this is about converstion, "two-way" communication.

My friend and I talk about the weather.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/1535_questionanswer/page34.shtml



Althouth there are some spelling mistakes, but I think the anwser is quite detailed. It has meaning and examples, and also attach another website. It trully solved my problems.

1 comment: